Since it seems that it’s getting more difficult these days to find an affordable home in Austin, it’s easy to see why people migrating to Texas are looking into other areas. Affordable housing options in communities outside of Austin do exist. The progressive city of Leander is one such area. It boasts a convenient location—only 30 minutes northwest from downtown Austin and an equally impressive terrain—the Texas Hill Country. Which means it’s the perfect place to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life and put down roots. Leander is also home to award-winning Leander Independent School District. But, there’s so much more to this hometown with a big attitude such as opportunity for growth, low cost of living, and a multitude of new construction housing options.
In Leander, homebuyers have the best of both worlds—staying close to Austin without paying Austin prices. Because of high demand and low inventory in Austin, areas such as Leander are very attractive to homebuyers. And, one of the reasons Leander is gaining residents at an unprecedented rate is because of its ability to provide more home for the money. Just to drive the point home, according to Zillow the median list price per square foot for a home in Leander is $140, which is lower than the Austin average of $208. The median price of homes currently listed in Leander is $325,000. Whereas, the median price of homes currently listed In Austin is $384,000.
By the numbers, the city of Leander’s population is growing. According to the U.S. Census Bureau it was the fastest growing city in the nation with a population over 15,000 from 2014-2015. However, since then Leander’s population has been soaring. And, the city is now estimating as of this writing that their current population is 55,910. As a result, with a growth rate of over 11%, it is currently the fastest growing city with a population of over 50,000 in the country.
So, why is Leander a great community to establish roots? Well, in addition to all of the reasons listed above, there’s two other reasons that have contributed to Leander’s success. The first, is the city’s ability to plan for future growth. And, the second reason is that Leander provides its residents with a superior quality of life. With that said, below is a brief snapshot of Leander’s current housing market and demographics. In addition, we listed a few key projects currently in progress that will continue to move the city forward for future generations to come.
By the numbers—Leander’s affordable housing market
Statistically, Leander is impressive. Check them out below.
- According to city statistics Leander’s population grew by 83% from 2012-2017.
- In 2017 alone there were 1,600 single-family housing starts.
- In August of this year 62 homes ranging in price from $200,000-$299,999 were sold with an average of 37 days on the market. Additionally, 39 homes ranging in price from $300,000-$399,000 were sold with an average of 90 days on the market.
- From 2017 vs. 2018 the median price of homes sold in August increased 11.93%.
- According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey (ACS) there were 11,137 households in Leander in 2017.
- In 2017 Leander’s median household income was $83,550; while the mean household income was $97,976.
- Leander’s unemployment rate as of May 2018 is 2.8 %.
Quality of Life
- In 2019 the city’s fifth fire station will open in the master-planned community of Travisso. To man the facility, Leander will add 12 new employees to the roster. On Sept. 6 Leander city officials accepted a grant for $1.4 million from the Department of Homeland Security to fund the staffing and hiring of the new employees. The fire station was part of the second phase of the city’s 2016 bond projects.
- Additional 2016 bond projects include the city’s first regional park, a senior activity center, a recreation center, and roadway additions and improvements.
- The city’s Northline Project, a 115-acre multi-use project will house shopping, dining, offices, and housing in the north central part of Leander. Developers are expected to break ground for the project by the end of this year.
- Classes began this fall at Austin Community College’s San Gabriel Campus. It’s ACC’s second campus in Leander. The new campus features a 175-seat ACCelerator lab and a combination of traditional and hybrid classrooms equipped with computers for students enrolled in general study courses. It also houses a library, and chemistry and biology labs.
- As Leander continues to grow the city is looking at adding both parks and facilities to its current system. Currently Leander operates and manages nine city parks that encompasses 7.69 acres per 1,000 residents. But, expect that to change. A comprehensive plan is in the works and is expected to be completed by the end of this year.
At Travisso we have a home waiting just for you!
Travisso is a place to explore; a place to relax; a place to call home. We offer homebuyers over-the-top amenities, fabulous home designs, natural beauty, premier custom builders and a 30-minute drive to downtown Austin. Oh, but, there’s so much more such as rolling hills and spectacular views of the Texas Hill Country. Visit us today to see our new construction homes, readily available inventory homes, or our builder model homes currently for sale. The best thing is that you can check out all three housing options all in one community. For additional details call our Information Center at 512-243-8583.
Note: The statistics for this article were obtained from the city of Leander’s website and editions of the Cedar Park/Leander Community Impact Newspaper.